We have built a new website to better deliver information.

Click here to visit the new Sydney and Regional Planning Panels website

Decrease Text Size Increase Text Size

About us

In the Greater Sydney Region, a Sydney Planning Panel operates for each district:Sydney Eastern City, Sydney Central City, Sydney Western City, Sydney North and Sydney South

Regional Planning Panels operate in the following four regions of the State: Hunter and Central Coast, Southern, Northern, and Western.

The Planning Panels

  • determine ‘regionally significant’ development applications (DAs) and certain other DAs and modification applications
  • act as the Planning Proposal Authority (PPA) when directed
  • undertake rezoning reviews
  • provide advice on other planning and development matters when requested
  • determine site compatibility certificates under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Housing for Seniors or People with a Disability) 2004.

Development applications

The Planning Panels determine the following types of development applications (DAs)and modification applications:

  • Regional development, as outlined in Schedule 7 of the State Environmental Planning Policy (State and Regional Development) 2011 
  • development with a capital investment value (CIV)* over $30 million

Development with a CIV* over $5 million which is:

  • council related
  • lodged by or on behalf of the Crown (State of NSW)
  • private infrastructure and community facilities
  • eco-tourist facilities
  • extractive industries, waste facilities and marinas that are designated development,
  • certain coastal subdivisions
  • development with a CIV* between $10 million and $30 million which is referred to the Planning Panel by the applicant after 120 days.

*    Capital investment value (CIV) is calculated at the time of lodgement of the DA for the purpose of determining whether an application should go to a Planning Panel - refer to Planning Circular PS 10-008.

Developments which meet State Significant Development criteria are not determined by the Sydney and Regional Planning Panels.

It is the responsibility of the relevant local council to carry out a proper and professional assessment of a proposal for a Panel’s determination of a relevant DA. Dependent on council policy, this will include the public exhibition of the application and assessment of submissions received.

The public panel meeting is an important part of the determination process for a DA. The purpose of the meeting is for the panel to hear those who wish to express their view on a DA before a decision is made. 

The Planning Panels operational procedures provide more detail on public meetings and the role of councils and the panels.

Planning proposals

The Planning Panels may undertake independent reviews of some Council and Department of Planning, Industry and Environment decisions in the plan making process. By providing an opportunity for an independent body to give advice on LEPs, the review processes allow Councils and proponents to have decisions about the strategic merits of proposed amendments reconsidered.

A request for a rezoning review can be submitted by a proponent where Council:

  • has notified the proponent that the request to prepare a planning proposal is not supported, or
  • has not indicated its support 90 days after the proponent submitted a request accompanied by the required information, or
  • has failed to submit a planning proposal for a Gateway determination within a reasonable time after the council has indicated its support.

The review and determination should be in accordance with the Planning Circular PS18-012 (or as updated).

The Planning Panel will determine whether the planning proposal should proceed, or not proceed, for a Gateway determination.  The Panel’s decision will bebased on the strategic and site specific merits of a proposal.

The Panel will only review the planning proposal initially considered by Council,rather than any amended or updated version.

Further detail on the rezoning review process can be find in the Department’s A Guide to Preparing Local Environmental Plans.

Coastal Protection Works

State Environmental Planning Policy (State and Regional Development) 2011, (Schedule 7, clause 8A), declares certain development for the purposes of coastal protection works to be 'regionally significant development' for which the consent authority is a Sydney district or regional planning Panel.

A regional planning panel, or Sydney district planning panel if within Sydney,with appropriate coastal expertise, will determine development applications for certain coastal protection works that are adjacent to, or under the waters of the open ocean, the entrance to an estuary or the entrance to a coastal lake that is open to the ocean. Where these works have been strategically identified in a certified CMP, the local council is the consent authority.

The regional planning panel or Sydney district planning panel exercise development consent functions for applications for coastal protection works by private landowners and public authorities where the works are not exempted by clause 19(2) of the Coastal Management SEPP. The regional planning panel or Sydney district planning panel may continue to have consent authority functions such as modification to development consents it previously granted, even if the works are subsequently identified in a certified CMP. 

For further information about coastal protection works,  click here

For information about the members with coastal expertise who will join planning panels when they are considering coastal protection works, click here.

Site Compatibility Certificates

The Planning Panels are responsible for issuing SCCs.

Written applications for SCCs will continue to be lodged with the Department which will prepare an assessment report and recommendation for the relevant panel.Following consideration of the application and report and having regard to those matters set out at clause 25 of the SEPP, the panel may determine the application by issuing a certificate or refusing to do so.

Should a development application supported by a SCC issued by a panel subsequently come before the panel for determination, the panel will be comprised of different members to the members that issued the SCC.

Planning Proposal Authority

The Planning Panels can act as the Planning Proposal Authority (PPA) for the purpose of preparing a local environmental plan (LEP) when directed to do so.

Community consultation

When a Planning Panel has been appointed as the PPA for the preparation of a LEP, the planning proposal is exhibited in accordance with the Gateway determination.

The Planning Panel will assess the planning proposal and all public submissions before making a recommendation to the Minister and as part of this process a public meeting may be held.

See the planning proposals on exhibition and planning proposals currently registered with the Planning Panels.

More information

For matters related to the Panels or to provide feedback on Sydney or Regional Planning Panels data contact the Planning Panels Secretariat or go to contact us to get in touch with the Department.


The planning panels (Regional Planning Panels and Sydney Planning Panels) support an accessible, fair and transparent complaints management process.

The Department of Planning and Environment provides assistance to the planning panels in managing complaints.

Dissatisfaction with determinations of the planning panels will not be regarded as a complaint.

If you wish to make a complaint telephone, write or email the Department of Planning and Environment at:

Tel: 1300 305 695.

Postal address: GPO Box 39, Sydney NSW 2001.

Email: information@planning.nsw.gov.au.

Complaints made in this way will be recorded in the Department’s Complaints Register and will be allocated to the appropriate level for investigation and response. 

If you are not satisfied with a response, you can ask for the issue to be considered by a more senior officer.

Code of conduct complaints will be dealt with under the Planning Panels Code of Conduct. The NSW Ombudsman can also accept complaints.

At anytime, a customer can complain to external bodies such as the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC), the Ombudsman, or the Audit Office of NSW. 

If you have allegations of corrupt conduct, misconduct, or serious waste of resources,you are encouraged to approach these organisations directly.

Complaints about council, councillors or council staff should be directed to the relevant council.

Further information on the Department of Planning and Environment’s complaint management process can be found here.

Note: The establishment of the Sydney Planning Panels(SPPs), on 21 November 2016, replaced the former Sydney East and Sydney West JRPPs. On 22 September 2017, the number of SPPs was reduced to five following the Greater Sydney Commission's merger of the South West and West Districts.The District Merger affected the Sydney West Planning Panel and the Sydney South West Planning Panel, which were combined, forming the Sydney Western City Planning Panel. At the same time the Sydney West Central Planning Panel was re-named the Sydney Central City Planning Panel and the Sydney Central Planning Panel was re-named the Sydney Eastern City Planning Panel.

Last Updated 20-Jun-2019